Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Forming a Style

No one can say that they do not care how they look or what they wear.  You have to have some opinion on it if you are going to wear it.  Everyone has a style, even if that means they really don't have style. But what does it mean to have style, and who decides what is stylish?  Fashionistas in New York?   Heidi Klum?  No one has claim.  When it comes to clothes, there are general guidelines that are laid out by society as to when to look professional, and when to be casual, and when to dress up.  Through each of these times, one's style shows and it communicates a message.

I could not describe my style in one category.  I am basic but I can be flashy, I am simple but I like to accessorize.  I am pretty conservative, but not stingy.  I dress day to day depending on how I feel.  However, these general patterns do exist in my entire closet.   I love black and color, stripes and solids, it all just depends.  I know what colors to wear and what not to wear.  

I think that how we use clothes to communicate is mostly in our subconscious.  It is not always easy to pinpoint why we like something- we just know if fits well within us.  But, as I have discovered, what I like has a lot to do with what may be "in fashion".  Back in middle school, I hated jeans that didn't flare.  I thought they looked old fashioned and short.  And I have been wearing these jeans for about 3 years.  Inversely, I used to wear short shirts, and now all I can think about is the 1990s with weird midriff shirts.  Interesting how opinions change with society and how one thing can be weird one year, and "all the rage" the next.

My group of friends and I all dress every similar, and I think we all wish to communicate similar things.  We are all different (obviously) so our styles are going to be different too.  But we all dress to express ourselves. When it comes down to it, I hope that my clothes communicate confidence, flattery, femininity, simplicity (but show that I do make an effort) and comfort.

I care because it is a simple yet very prominent way to express my style in a way people can relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment