Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Interpreting Technologies

The form of technology I can not go day to day without is my cell phone.  I have had a cell phone literally since I was in 7th grade because my friends and I would go on bike rides (it was a safety thing).  Now, I use it for communication while at school and at home, but that initial purpose of making sure I have a way out is still there.  Hence, I use it to communicate, but it is not just for catching up with friends.

The other day I was at home, and I was about to go out shopping.  My parents were out and I was enjoying some time alone.  I got into my car and realized my phone was still on my night stand.  I sat there, contemplating if I needed it.  No one was going to call me, and I did not really have anyone to call.  And besides, I would need to get out of the car, weave around the kayaks and other cars in the garage to get back inside.  I already set the house alarm and the dogs probably accepted I had left- I didn't want toy with their emotions anymore.  But then I began to think of how I felt without it.  I then worried that I could get into a situation where I needed it.  And what if someone needed me?  I hated not having it, and I went back in the house and got it.

So, the point of my story is that without it, I felt less safe.  I had the outlook like the world was a more harmful place.  I felt exposed and yet cut off from the world.  I could have gone the entire trip (I went no farther than about 20 minutes from my house), not realized I had left my phone, and been fine.  But because I knew I didn't have it, I began worrying about car accidents, or other emergencies where I would need it.  I also wondered what my parents would think if they could not get a hold of me.  They are by no means overprotective, but they know by now it would be odd for me not to have it on while I was home.  All of these things I consider...

Aside from safety, I feel totally alone without my phone.  This time last year, my phone was out of commission, and I panicked.  We just had a death in the family, so I could not talk to anyone about that, and my birthday was coming, and I was afraid I could talk to no one then.   I became so used to my phone, it was a terrible feeling to know I could not reach my family instantaneously.  I felt less safe and more alone.

My life has changed since I really got used to using my phone (which was not until high school, really) and now without it, I feel less safe and more alone. 

1 comment:

  1. I get the same way about my cell phone. Even if I know I won't need it, I still feel obligated to have it. Sometimes I reason with myself that I need it because of the clock it has on it, but would I really not be able to find another clock around somewhere to check the time? I guess it just makes you feel more prepared to deal with life...

    ReplyDelete