Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Identifying with Music- Emotions

I music I listen to varies but the effect is all the same.  I am very specific about what I like, and what I don't and it is based on the emotions they evoke.  The music I listen to tends to be upbeat music that I can sing and dance too.  Otherwise, they are soundtracks to my favorite films that remind me of that film, and the time period in my life that I watched it.  Where I was, who I was with, and what I thought of the film all are evoked with the music of a soundtrack.  And I am not always talking about songs with lyrics, but instrumentals.  I love instrumental music.  It may be from my history in band, but I really appreciate the composition of different instruments to make one sound. 

The question of what makes music mine is interesting, because although I refer to it as my CD, or my music, it is not mine.  It was created by others that I have adopted.  But now as I consider it as "mine" and what makes it this way, it is just what I said above.  It is mine because it relates to me in a way that is unique against everyone else.  Others may have the same interest, but they do not listen to it for the exact reasons I do.  The music I listen to is generally happy, and no doubt it makes others happy too, but the memories or emotions they evoke are not the same. No one's playlist of favorite music is going to be exactly like mine.

Music also fits into my life in more ways than one would think.  I think it starts with learning music in school.  Playing an instrument and the knowledge acquired from that does play in everyday life.  Terms learned, or references noted are important, and it is exciting when I know what they mean.  I am quite proud I can read music and play instruments. Just this year, I was shocked when people didn't know who John Phillip Sousa was (he composed Stars and Stripes Forever, our national march!) And yes, that is a trivial bit of information, but it is still a big part of America's history, and I learned it from playing it in band class! Also, I have developed rhythm and I can use it whether it is in exercising (I work out to the tempo of the song) or playing the Wii Fit version of Step really well.  It's a great talent...I know.  Marching Band had some long-term affect on me!

When it comes to my friends, the type of music we listen to does not really affect our friendship.  I have many friends who love country music or rap (which I have little tolerance for) or who like only oldies.  However, we relate on how music makes us feel.  Because of this, I enjoy listening to music with friends, but I enjoy it most when I am alone, so I can control the playlist and not worry if others are satisfied.  Music does make a road trip though if everyone can enjoy similar music.

I have a select amount of songs that I consider to be my favorite songs, and my mom brought up a good point one day: What is it about a song that makes it your favorite over the rest.  It is all music, so what makes it so special or unique?  What is interesting is that most of my favorite songs are songs I had to look up the lyrics to because I could not really understand them ("Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse, "Dropped" by Phantom Planet, "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay and "Australia" by The Shins).  I think what made them the favorites was a combination of the tune, tempo and the lyrics I was so proud I learned.  All of them are songs I could sing along with, especially after I looked up lyrics!  I listen to them the most in the car or on my sound dock, which gives it the best quality. And I put my favorites on shuffle so I get a good mix to fit my emotions that day, or the emotions I want to feel.  Nothing puts me in a better mood after a rough day than listening to happy, upbeat songs- I like being in a good mood, and sometimes it just takes a good bit of music to do so.

6 comments:

  1. I've always been a fan of "certain" soundtracks to films. There was this movie a long time ago that starred Elijah Wood and some other b-movie comedians, called "North". I heard that soundtrack ALL the time when I was around 6 or 7 years old. I definitely associate strong emotions, mainly good ones, with that time period of my life back in the mid 90's.

    I think its interesting that although at a younger age I was heavily interested in music as an adolescent, but I would only listen to what my parents were into or my older sisters, but luckily it was music like the beatles or something in that realm.

    Have you ever found that somedays a song that you love to play a lot can never really get you out of a badmood? sometimes I think you have to be a good mood to listen to music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I LOVED "North" when I was little? No one had ever heard of it! Crazy! I never paid attention to the soundtrack though...Perhaps I should have.

    I do agree that there are certain moods that make me want to just sit in silence, but for the everyday troubles, it does help if I turn on the iPod!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely know my experience with band has helped me develop a deeper appreciation for music. And I do believe I got some of my rhythm from tapping my toe in band class. It drives me crazy when people try to dance but can't find the beat of a song!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me. too.

    I hear a song in the mall and I have to walk in step with it.

    It's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a good point about calling the music "mine." I do that too but until you explained it, I never thought about why, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete