Monday, February 16, 2009

Escaping

As addressed in previous posts, the media provides a way for its users to escape.  Although I do not fully agree with the idea that media allows one to escape reality, I do think it provides a distraction, or at least adverts our attention enough that we momentarily and harmlessly forget about certain realities of our lives.  

I use the media mainly as a form of entertainment- an entertainment that can affect my mood easily.  Whether the media is news, movies or music, it has an influence on my own reality.

Applying escapism to the news, I think it does the opposite.  Watching, reading or listening to the news can actually bring me down to reality.  Especially with all the news focusing on the downfall of the economy, it snaps be back into the idea that the world is not always the happiest place.  What is said on the news is open to interpretation and the "reality" can be misrepresented.  However, it still forces me to look beyond my student and personal life, and observe the big picture.

That is where entertainment media comes in, and not just for me.  I am not alone when I say music and movies can alter my mood, and knowing this, I will use it for that purpose intentionally.  

Whether or not this is a healthy habit depends on the extremity that I use it.  Knowing the difference between movies and the emotions they evoke and reality is important.  I don't use the media to "escape" like a drug addict uses crack (too much of an extreme example?), but I do get in moods to watch films, or jump in the car, turn up the music and roll down the windows or to even relax and read a good book.  However, when I think of the main reasons I use these forms of media, it is to entertain and enjoy the story.  Yes, it does mean you get engrossed in the story of the media, and not reality, but it doesn't mean you have to escape to enjoy it.

One last thought- movies can also bring me down to reality.  Movies that are either documentaries or historical depictions can educate and provoke emotions associate with the time.  They are a interpretation of reality, and may not be entirealy based off of facts. It can, however, still give insight to the emotions of Titanic, or World War II, or just how unhealthy a super-sized burger is.  They provoke thought about a reality (looking at a larger picture) while entertaining us.  

2 comments:

  1. " I don't use the media to "escape" like a drug addict uses crack (too much of an extreme example?)"
    I don't think that is too extreme of an example. I often use media with the sole purpose of forgetting the world around me. Your use of media is probably healthier though (being entertained without totally escaping)

    just wondering, has there really never been one time when you were using media that you felt completely disconnected from the world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does using my iPod count? I hate not being able to hear the world around me! I can't stand to have it too loud because I want to be fully aware of my surroundings!

    But I also think that when you watch the news, you get one opinion or stance on an issue, so in that way, it is like a disconnect from the world because you are not getting the whole story. And how are you going to get the whole story if no one is going to give it to you!?

    ReplyDelete